Monday, January 4, 2010

Custom Photography - Why It's Worth It - Kansas City Portrait Studio

A friend of mine who lives near Chicago, the supremely talented Marianne Drenthe of Marmalade Photography, a couple of years ago wrote an excellent and comprehensive article about custom photography. You can read it here.

Of particular interest to many of you would be the section about custom photography pricing. She goes into great detail about why quality custom photography can be an investment.

Of course, I am confident that my own clients do understand this. You all do "get it" - you understand that you are not only paying for the paper your images are printed on; and the ink used. You make a choice to invest in something beautiful and timeless. Something special. You choose me/Center Stage Photography because you know that I offer a unique style, outstanding customer service, quality prints and albums, a memorable experience during your session, and a guarantee on my work.


Do I hand you a CD of your images for $50, or $100, or $200? No. I could not stay in business for very long doing things that way (the average photography business fails within two years); and I certainly could not offer you the experience or customer service that I do. My work is too important to me (and I believe, my clients) to treat it that way. And importantly, I want to offer you full service. I want to do the work for you. I know that many of you lead very busy lives and I know that often, CDs just sit in your home and prints never get made; albums never get made; sometimes CDs get lost and hard-drives fail.

Would it be easier for me to burn a CD and hand it over? Probably. It sure would save me a lot of time. But that's not "me." That's not the vision I have for Center Stage. I want to serve you, provide you with the highest quality prints, albums, canvases and other products that I can find. I choose my vendors carefully - I want to offer you only the finest. I don't choose a vendor because they are "cheap" so I can increase my net sale, but because they are, in my opinion, the best out there.

Do I sell digital files? Yes, I do. I realize we are in a "digital age" and I understand that for many of you, taking home digital files is important. You see it as a way to protect your investment in case something should happen to your prints and albums. But if you've ever wondered why my digital files are only available after a minimum print purchase - this is why. I firmly believe that this is the best way to serve you. Professionally produced prints and albums are heirlooms that your children, your grandchildren and their grandchildren will treasure for generations.

You, and your lives which I have chosen to document
through my work,
are important to me.

To all of my clients - I appreciate you more than you know.
To all those who come to my blog, considering hiring me to photograph your family - I appreciate you, too, and look forward to meeting and working with you.
To all, I promise to make 2010 my best year yet - even more beautiful images, simplified pricing, even better customer service.

May 2010 be a wonderful year for us all.

3 comments:

Kare said...

What a wonderful post, Lori. I'm proud of all that you've accomplished. Isn't this your second (actually doing it as a business) year? You're beating the odds! Not that your successs surprises me. You do beautiful work that I'm more than willing to recommend (which has more to do with the quality of your talents than the timing of our birth).

Unknown said...

Thank you, Karen =)
How time flies - this is actually my third January in "real" business!

Kare said...

Well, see how much I know?