Monday, November 10, 2008

Journeys


As many of you know, this photographic journey of mine started not so long ago. I'm still getting used to this new me - the photographer, not the writer or editor. One thing I loved about writing was being able to tell people's stories. To honor their lives. To say something about humankind. I'm finding, of course, that this new career of mine has put me on a different yet very similar path.

Many photographers talk about an intimacy with their camera. They talk feeling as if it is an extension of themselves. I'm not there yet. Sometimes I still feel like I don't fully understand the piece of metal and plastic in my hand. But I do appreciate my camera, because it gives me something special - an intimacy with the people I photograph - the ability to do something special for people; to tell the story of their lives.

Tonight I was able to document the love between a remarkable daughter and her remarkable mother. What a beautiful way to spend an evening. I am so honored to be able to help tell the story of their private journey.

Thank you so much, ladies, for sharing this evening with me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Lori - these are simply amazing. You can truly sense the love between these 3 and it absolutely touches my heart. They are going to treasure these for a liftime....stunning...++

Stephanie said...

Intimate and gorgeous images, I can feel the connection between these beautiful ladies, gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Lori, these truly brought tears to my eyes. My mom looks truly amazing and my daughter and I are just her props. :) I will cherish these special pictures forever. Thank you for having such an amazing gift to give others.

Anonymous said...

I love sessions like these. The ladies are all so beautiful and you've given them such a special gift. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

wow Lori, these are gorgeous. The bond between them shows right through the pictures, great job!

Anonymous said...

Love the portraits, Lor.

On a more personal note, you know I'll always be a little sad about you leaving my world (used to be "ours") and finding your own. I'll always be your biggest fan when it comes to your writing...I'm just glad you use your blog to write about your clients as well so I get a little bit from time to time.

Of course, I'm now your biggest photography fan, so maybe I'm just a fan of you in general? No matter what you do in life?

Love you...and I'm so proud that you give your clients such memorable - and special - moments. - Nan

Anonymous said...

The lighting is exceptional...Makes me want to do some studio work....! Beautiful bonding moments..

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lighting....Such joyous moments..

Jenny McMasters - Photographer said...

Lori you do amazing work and this is no exception! Makes me want to go out and have pictures done with my mom! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your blog made me cry, and the photos were so touching. Those are two good looking women. You know we always share hope.
And then your dumb sister made me cry. Even though you both made me cry, your old mom loves you----like trillions.

Anonymous said...

What a touching blog post, Lori. I really enjoyed your writing as much as the beautiful images of these women. :)

Anonymous said...

I love these, stunning!